Howdy loyal followers! We’ve had quite a year, haven’t we? With 2016 coming to a welcome close, I wanted to appropriately slam the door in its back with a quick rundown of the publicly perceived worst films of the year.
We all know that opinion is subjective, so I want to re-emphasize that this is a list I generated based on public perception. Basically, I took 14 currently published year-end “Worst of 2016” lists, then tallied up how often each film was listed. I thought that would be pretty simple and data-driven way to make my list. Unfortunately, I was very, very wrong about that first part. Between the handful of lists I initially pulled, I wound up with nearly 100 films, which included some obviously contentious, contrarian picks like Hell or High Water, Rogue One, and Captain Fantastic. For the sake of brevity, I’m only listing out movies here that appeared on more than 2 lists, but if you want to see the final version of my working document with all of the tallies and the sources used, you can find it here.
Interestingly, there was far from a consensus pick for the worst picture of 2016: the most consistently reviled movie was only on 10/14 rankings. For the fraction-impaired, that means that just under 72% of the lists I pulled had it present at all, let alone at #1.
Without further ado, here are the publicly perceived worst movies of 2016:
- Independence Day: Resurgence
- Mother’s Day
- (Tie) Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice / Suicide Squad / Warcraft
- (Tie) Gods of Egypt / Alice Through The Looking Glass
- (Tie) Dirty Grandpa / London Has Fallen / The Divergent Series: Allegiant
- (Tie) Yoga Hosers / Nine Lives / Zoolander 2 / X-Men: Apocalypse
- (Tie) Hillary’s America / Sea of Trees / Man Down / Inferno / Collateral Beauty / My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
Are there any movies that you expected to see that didn’t make the cut?
4 thoughts on “Worst Movies of 2016”